This isn't a very worrisome case. Most of the messages you see on the board
about
the dangers of dates arise because dates can be stored with many unique
values if
they include milliseconds. Then, when sorting on date your memory explodes
because
all the dates are loaded into memory.

In your case, there are a max of 10,000 years, which isn't the same
magnitude of problem
as, say, 10,000,000 documents each with a unique timestamp.

That said, you might as well go for as much speed as you can get and use a
trie int, that
way you won't be tripped up by three-digit years being out of lexical
order.....

Best
Erick