Thanks I saw the article,

As far as I can tell the trunk archives only go back to the middle of March
and the 2 patches are from the beginning of the year.

Thus:
*These approaches can be tried out easily using a single set of sample data
and the Solr example application (assumes current trunk codebase and latest
patches posted to the respective issues). **

**Is a bit of an over-statement!**
*
Regards
Eric*