"there is some kind of caching of query results
going on that doesnt get flushed on a restart of tomcat."

Yes. Solr by default has http caching on if there is no configuration,
and the example solrconfig.xml has it configured on. You should edit
solrconfig.xml to use the alternative described in the comments.

--
Lance Norskog
goks...@gmail.com