We were able to get the hierarchy faceting working with a work around
approach.

e.g. if you have Europe//Norway//Oslo as an entry

1. Create a new multivalued field with string type

<field name="country_facet" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true"/>

2. Index the field for "Europe//Norway//Oslo" with values

0//Europe
1//Europe//Norway
2//Europe//Norway//Oslo

3. The Facet can now be used in the Queries :-

1st Level - Would return all entries @ 1st level e.g. 0//USA, 0//Europe

fq=

f.country_facet.facet.prefix=0//

facet.field=country_facet

2nd Level - Would return all entries @ second level in Europe
1//Europe//Norway, 1//Europe//Sweden

fq=country_facet:0//Europe

f.country_facet.facet.prefix=1//Europe

facet.field=country_facet

3rd Level - Would return 1//Europe//Norway entries

fq=country_facet:1//Europe//Norway

f.country_facet.facet.prefix=2//Europe//Norway

facet.field=country_facet

Increment the facet.prefix by 1 so that you limit the facet results to to
that prefix.
Also works for any depth.

Regards,
Jayendra