There are more merge paramaters, what values do you have for these:

<mergeFactor>10</mergeFactor>
<maxBufferedDocs>1000</maxBufferedDocs>
<maxMergeDocs>2147483647</maxMergeDocs>
<maxFieldLength>10000</maxFieldLength>

See: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml

Hope that formatting comes through the various mail programs OK....

Also, what else happens while you're indexing? Do you search
while indexing? How often do you commit your changes?