User security tends to change often. You may find it easier to use
user/role security. You could create a unique role for a user's docs
and store that role instead. You need a separate user->role database.
Later, the user can choose to share docs with someone else and you
would then change the mapping.

And yes, you really want to do this with a front-end application.
Almost anything serious should be done with an app.

Lance