There's nothing built into SOLR that I know of that'll deal with
auto-detecting
multiple languages and "doing the right thing". I know there's been
discussion
of that, searching the users' list might help... You may have to write your
own
analyzer that tries to do this, but I have no clue how you'd go about it.

<<<charFilters are applied even before the tokenizer>>>
Try putting this after any instances of, say, WhiteSpaceTokenizerFactory
in your analyzser definition, and I believe you'll see that this is not
true.
At least looking at this in the analysis page from SOLR admin sure doesn't
seem to support that assertion.

This last doesn't help much with the different character sets though..

I'll have to leave any other insights to wiser heads than mine though..

Best
Erick