I tracked down the problem and found a workaround. If there is a
wildcard entry in schema.xml such as the following.

   <!-- Ignore any fields that don't already match an existing field name -->
   <dynamicField name="*" type="ignored" multiValued="true" />

then sort by function fails and returns Error 400 can not sort on
unindexed field: <function name>

Removing the name="*" entry from schema.xml is a workaround. I noted
this in the Solr-1297 JIRA entry.

Scott