We are running SOLR 1.4.1 (Lucene 2.9.3) on a 2-CPU Linux host, but it seems
that only 1 CPU is ever being used. It almost seems like something is
single-threading inside the SOLR application. The CPU utilization is very
seldom over 0.9 even under load.

We are running on virtual Linux hosts and our other apps in the same cluster
are multi-threading w/o issue. Some more info on our stack and versions:

  Linux 2.6.16.33-xenU
  Apache 2.2.3
  Tomcat 6.0.16
  Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-ea-b11)

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Might there be some SOLR config aspect to enable multi-threading that we're
missing? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Judging by SOLR's logs, we do see that multiple requests are processing
simultaneously inside SOLR so we do not believe we're sequentially feeding
requests to SOLR, ie. bottle-necking things outside of SOLR.

Thanks,
David Crane