Hi,

Tell us more about your deploy.
How many documents, and how large?
How much RAM?
What kind of physical disk system and how is it allocated to the VM?
When do you measure - during indexing or during search load?
Have you tried to throw more search load on the system? When (how many QPS)
does it max out?

In your case it's Tomcat which handles the threading of requests, and Solr is
definitely capable of utilizing multi cores.
Could it be that you are bound by something else than CPU? Like disk, memory,
network or such?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com