(I don't twitter or blog so I thought I'd send this message here)

Today at work (at MITRE outside DC) there was (is) a day of technical
presentations about topics related to information dissemination and discovery
(broad squishy words there, but mostly covered "search") at which I spoke about
the value of faceting, and gave a quick Solr pitch.  There was an hour vendor
panel in which a representative from Autonomy, Microsoft (i.e. FAST), Google,
Vivisimo, and Endeca had the opportunity to espouse the virtues of their
product, and fit in an occasional jab at their competitors next to them.  In
the absence of a suitable representative for Solr (e.g. Lucid) I pointed out
how open-source Solr has "democratized" (i.e. made free) search and faceting
when it used to require paying lots of money.  And I asked them how their
products have reacted to this new reality.  Autonomy acknowledged they used to
make millions on simple engagements in the distant past but that isn't the case
these days.  He said some other things about a huge petabyte hosted search
collection they have used by banks... I forget what else he said.  I forgot
what Google said.  Vivisimo quoted Steve Ballmer, saying "open source is as
free as a free puppy" (not a bad point IMO).  Endeca claimed to be happy Solr
exists because it raises the awareness of faceted search, but then claimed it
would not scale and they should then upgrade to Endeca.  (!)  I found that
claim ridiculous, of course.

Speaking of performance, on a large scale search project where we're using Solr
in place of a MarkLogic prototype (because ML is so friggin expensive, for one
reason), the search results were so fast (~150ms) vs. the ML's results of 2-3
seconds, that the UI engineers building the interface on top of the XML output
thought Solr was broken because it was so fast.  The quote was "It's so fast,
it's broken".    In other words, they were used to 2-3 second response times
and so if the results came back as fast as what Solr has been doing, then
surely there's a bug.  There's no bug.  :)  Admittedly, I think it was a bit of
an apples and oranges comparison but I love that quote nonetheless.

~ David Smiley
 Author: https://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/book