When do you need to deploy?

As I understand it, the spatial search in Solr is being rewritten and is slated
for Solr 4.0, the release after next.

The existing spatial search has some serious problems and is deprecated.

Right now, I think the only way to get spatial search in Solr is to deploy a
nightly snapshot from the active development on trunk. If you are deploying a
year from now, that might change.

There is not any support for SQL-like statements or for joins. The best
practice for Solr is to think of your data as a single table, essentially
creating a view from your database. The rows become Solr documents, the columns
become Solr fields.

wunder