Thanks for the responses people.

@Grant

1. can you show me some direction on that.. loading data from an incoming
stream.. do I need some third party tools, or need to build something myself...

4. I am basically attempting to build a very fast search interface for the
existing data. The volume I mentioned is more like static one (data is already
there). The sql statements I mentioned are daily updates coming. The good thing
is that the history is not there, so the overall volume is not growing, but I
need to apply the update statements.

One workaround I had in mind is, (though not so great performance) is to apply
the updates to a copy of rdbms, and then feed the rdbms extract to solr.
Sounds like overkill, but I don't have another idea right now. Perhaps business
discussions would yield something.

@All -

Some more questions guys.

1. I have about 3-5 tables. Now designing schema.xml for a single table looks
ok, but whats the direction for handling multiple table structures is something
I am not sure about. Would it be like a big huge xml, wherein those three
tables (assuming its three) would show up as three different tag-trees,
nullable.

My source provides me a single flat file per table (tab delimited).

2. Further, loading into solr can use some perf tuning.. any tips ? best
practices ?

3. Also, is there a way to specify a xslt at the server side, and make it
default, i.e. whenever a response is returned, that xslt is applied to the
response automatically...

4. And last question for the day - :) there was one post saying that the
spatial support is really basic in solr and is going to be improved in next
versions... Can you ppl help me get a definitive yes or no on spatial
support... in the current form, does it work on not ? I would store lat and
long, and would need to make them searchable...

Looks like I m close to my solution.. :)

--raghav