Very clever thinking indeed. Well, that's certainly revealed the problem ...
${listing.id} is empty on my sub-entity query ...

And this because I prefix the indexed ID with a letter

<field column="id" name="id" template="L${listing.id}" />

This appears to modify the internal value of $listing.id for subsequent uses.

Well, I can work around this now. Thanks!