Guys,

We have a website running Solr indexing books, and we use a facet to filter
books by author.
After some time, we detected that this facet is very large and we need to
create some other feature to help finding the information.

Our product team asked to create a page that can show all authors by it's
initial letter, so we can distribute this query easier.
Is it a feasible solution to create another field containing only the
initial letter for the authors? Using this approach we will be able to
filter the authors using this newly created field.
Do you think there will be any performance penalty on creating a couple of
fields with the initial letter of these other fields (author, publisher)?

I guess that this approach is way easier than other solutions we came up
with.
Am I missing other alternatives?

Thanks,
Alexandre