Hi all-

I have a newbie design question about documents, especially with SQL databases.
I am trying to set up Solr to go against a database that, for example, has
"items" and "people". The way I see it, and I don't know if this is right or
not (thus the question), is that I see both as separate documents as an item
may contain a list of parts, which the user may want to search, and, as part of
the "item", view the list of people who have ordered the item.

Then there's the actual "people", who the user might want to search to find a
name and, consequently, what items they ordered. To me they are both "top
level" things, with some overlap of fields. If I'm searching for "people", I'm
likely not going to be interested in the parts of the item, while if I'm
searching for "items" the likelihood is that I may want to search for "42532"
which is, in this instance, a SKU, and not get hits on the zip code section of
the "people".

Does it make sense, then, to separate these two out as separate documents? I
believe so because the documentation I've read suggests that a document should
be analogous to a row in a table (in this case, very de-normalized). What is
tripping me up is, as far as I can tell, you can have only one document type
per index, and thus one document per core. So in this example, I have two
cores, "items" and "people". Is this correct? Should I embrace the idea of
having many cores or am I supposed to have a single, unified index with all
documents (which doesn't seem like Solr supports).

The ultimate question comes down to the search interface. I don't necessarily
want to have the user explicitly state which document they want to search; I'd
like them to simply type "42532" and get documents from both cores, and then
possibly allow for filtering results after the fact, not before. As I've only
used the admin site so far (which is core-specific), does the client API allow
for unified searching across all cores? Assuming it does, I'd think my idea of
multiple-documents is okay, but I'd love to hear from people who actually know
what they're doing. :)

Thanks,

Ron

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message, including any attachments, files or
documents, is intended only for the addressee and may contain CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of this message or any of the information included in or with it
is  unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete and destroy this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. This message does not create any contractual obligation on behalf of
the sender or Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Thank you.