>What I get when I search for, say, "XYZ", is a document that has XYZ Corp as
a manufacturer name, but the >array of parts_manu appears to be a child of
the document, not the parts array.

>Is this the correct behavior, insofar as a document has a single level of
elements, and that's it? If so, what >might be a better strategy for being
able to maintain the hierarchy of information within a document?

Yes, this is the correct behavior. I still struggle with the same issue, and
there is no 'best practices' (that I have found at least) of maintaining
relationships within a Solr doc. The argument is Solr is not the correct
place for these representations and should only represent a flat version of
your document.

For a similar question see:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Schema-Definition-Question-td1049966.html#a1105593

A few possible solutions are posted there, and i'm interested in how others
have tackled this issue.