From: harrysmith [mailto:harrysmith...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 4:10 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Confusion about entities and documents

>What I get when I search for, say, "XYZ", is a document that has XYZ Corp as
a manufacturer name, but the >array of parts_manu appears to be a child of
the document, not the parts array.

>Is this the correct behavior, insofar as a document has a single level of
elements, and that's it? If so, what >might be a better strategy for being
able to maintain the hierarchy of information within a document?

Yes, this is the correct behavior. I still struggle with the same issue, and
there is no 'best practices' (that I have found at least) of maintaining
relationships within a Solr doc. The argument is Solr is not the correct
place for these representations and should only represent a flat version of
your document.

For a similar question see:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Schema-Definition-Question-td1049966.html#a1105593

A few possible solutions are posted there, and i'm interested in how others
have tackled this issue.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message, including any attachments, files or
documents, is intended only for the addressee and may contain CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of this message or any of the information included in or with it
is  unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete and destroy this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. This message does not create any contractual obligation on behalf of
the sender or Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Thank you.