Is it possible that your original search is being posted (HTTP POST), and the character encoding of the page with the form is not UTF-8? In that case, I believe a header gets sent with the request specifying a different character set (different from parameters in the URL, for which it's not possible to specify an encoding explicitly).

-Mike