Hi,

If your index is supposed to handle only public information, i.e. public RSS
feeds, then I don't see a need for multiple cores.

I would probably try to handle this on the query side only. Imagine this
scenario:

User A registers RSS-X and RSS-Y (the application starts pulling and indexing
these feeds)
User B registers RSS-Z (the application starts pulling feed Z)
User C registers RSS-X and RSS-Z (the application does nothing, as these are
already being indexed)

When searching, add a filter to each user's queries. Solr will handle MANY
terms in such a filter, and it is not likely that a human user subscribes to
more than say a few 100 feeds.

So for user C, the query would look like .../solr/select?q=foo
bar&fq=feedID:(RSS-X OR RSS-Z)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com