Correct me if I am wrong but I would like to return highlighted excerpts from the document so I would still need to index and store the whole document right (ie.. highlighting only works on stored fields)?

On 12/3/10 3:51 AM, Ahmet Arslan wrote:

--- On Fri, 12/3/10, Mark<static.void....@gmail.com>  wrote:

From: Mark<static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject: Limit number of characters returned
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 5:39 AM
Is there way to limit the number of
characters returned from a stored field?

For example:

Say I have a document (~2K words) and I search for a word
that's somewhere in the middle. I would like the document to
match the search query but the stored field should only
return the first 200 characters of the document. Is there
anyway to accomplish this that doesn't involve two fields?
I don't think it is possible out-of-the-box. May be you can hack highlighter to
return that first 200 characters in highlighting response.
Or a custom response writer can do that.

But if you will be always returning first 200 characters of documents, I think creating additional field with
indexed="false" stored="true" will be more efficient. And you can make your original field
indexed="true" stored="false", your index size will be diminished.

<copyField source="text" dest="textShort" maxChars="200"/>