Please correct me if I am doing something wrong. I really appreciate your help!

I have a core for metadata (xml files) and a core for pdf documents. Sometimes
I need search them separately, sometimes I need search both of them together.
There is the same key which is related them for each item.

For example, the xml files look like following:
<List>
    <Item>
        <Key>rmaaac.pdf</Key>
        <TI>something<TI>
        <UI>rmaaac</UI>
    </Item>
    <Item>
       .
</List>

I index rmaaac.pdf file with same Key and UI field in another core. Here is the
example after I index rmaaac.pdf.
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <response>
  <lst name="responseHeader">
  <int name="status">0</int>
  <int name="QTime">3</int>
  <lst name="params">
  <str name="indent">on</str>
  <str name="start">0</str>
  <str name="q">collectionid: RM</str>
  <str name="rows">10</str>
  <str name="version">2.2</str>
  </lst>
  </lst>
  <result name="response" numFound="1" start="0">
  <doc>
    <str name="UI">rmaaaa</str>
    <str name="Key">rmaaaa.pdf</str>
    <str name="metadata_content">something....</str>
  </doc>
  </result>

The result information which is display to user comes from metadata, not from
pdf files. If I search a term from documents, in order to display search
results to user, I have to get Keys from documents and then redo search from
metadata. Then score is different.

Please give me some suggestions!

Thanks so much,
Xiaohui