: > If I want to delete an entire index and start over, in previous versions of
: > Solr, you could stop Solr, delete all files in the index directory and
: > restart Solr.  Solr would then create empty segments files and you could
: You have to delete the index directory entirely.  This looks like a change in
: Lucene, not Solr specificially.  If the directory exists, but has nothing in
: it, it throws an exception.  I'll leave the rationale question that you also

FYI: this has always been the behavior in Solr (i just verified it in
1.4.1, and 1.3 .. didn't bother going back to 1.2 and 1.1).

-Hoss