From: John Russell [jjruss...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 8:47 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: OutOfMemory GC: GC overhead limit exceeded - Why isn't WeakHashMap
getting collected?

Wow, you read my mind.  We are committing very frequently.  We are trying to
get as close to realtime access to the stuff we put in as possible.  Our
current commit time is... ahem.... every 4 seconds.

Is that insane?

I'll try the ConcMarkSweep as well and see if that helps.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 17:38, Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     <!-- A Trie based date field for faster date range queries and date
>> faceting. -->
>>     <fieldType name="tdate" class="solr.TrieDateField" omitNorms="true"
>> precisionStep="6" positionIncrementGap="0"/>
>>
>> Which appears to be what you mentioned.  Then we use them in fields like
>> this
>>
>>    <field name="sc.publishedDate" type="date" indexed="true"
>> stored="false"
>> required="false" multiValued="false" />
>>    <field name="sc.createdDate" type="date" indexed="true" stored="false"
>> required="false" multiValued="false" />
>>
>> So I think we have the right datatypes for the dates.  Most of the other
>> ones are strings.
>>
>> As for the doc we are adding, I don't think it would be considered "huge".
>> It is basically blog posts and tweets broken out into fields like author,
>> title, summary etc.  Each doc probably isn't more than 1 or 2k tops.  Some
>> probably smaller.
>>
>> We do create them once and then update the indexes as we perform work on
>> the
>> documents.  For example, we create the doc for the original incoming post
>> and then update that doc with tags or the results of filtering so we can
>> look for them later.
>>
>> We have solr set up as a separate JVM which we talk to over HTTP on the
>> same
>> box using the solrj client java library.  Unfortunately we are on 32 bit
>> hardware so solr can only get 2.6GB of memory.  Any more than that and the
>> JVM won't start.
>>
>> I really just need a way to keep the cache from breaking the bank.  As I
>> pasted below there are some config elements in the XML that appear to be
>> related to caching but I'm not sure that they are related to that specific
>> hashmap which eventually grows to 2.1GB of our 2.6GB heap.  It never
>> actually runs out of heap space but GC's the CPU to death.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 17:46, Erick Erickson<erickerick...@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  "unfortunately I can't check the statistics page.  For some reason the
>>> solr
>>> webapp itself is only returning a directory listing."
>>>
>>> This is very weird and makes me wonder if there's something really wonky
>>> with your system. I'm assuming when you say "the solr webapp itself"
>>> you're
>>> taking about ...localhost:8983/solr/admin/...... You might want to be
>>> looking
>>> at the stats page (and frantically hitting refresh) before you have
>>> problems.
>>> Alternately, you could record the queries as they are sent to solr to see
>>> what
>>> the offending
>>>
>>> But onwards.... Tell us more about your dates. One of the very common
>>> ways people get into trouble is to use dates that are unix-style
>>> i.e. in milliseconds (either as ints or strings) and sort on them. Trie