have deployed a 5-sharded infrastructure where: shard1 has 3124422 docs
shard2 has 920414 docs shard3 has 602772 docs shard4 has 2083492 docs shard5
has 11915639 docs Indexes total size: 100GB

The OS is Linux x86_64 (Fedora release 8) with vMem equal to 7872420 and I
run the server using Jetty (from Solr example download) with: java -Xmx3024M
-Dsolr.solr.home=multicore -jar start.jar

The response time for a query is around 2-3 seconds. Nevertheless, if I
execute several queries at the same time the performance goes down
inmediately: 1 simultaneous query: 2516ms 2 simultaneous queries: 4250,4469
ms 3 simultaneous queries: 5781, 6219, 6219 ms 4 simultaneous queries: 6484,
7203, 7719, 7781 ms...

Using JConsole for monitoring the server java proccess I checked that Heap
Memory and the CPU Usages don't reach the upper limits so the server
shouldn't perform as overloaded. Can anyone give me an approach of how I
should tune the instance for not being so hardly dependent of the number of
simultaneous queries?

Thanks in advance