Hi,

You can use Solr 1.4.1 and a third party plugin [1]. It does a pretty good job
in spatial search. You could also try the Solr 3.1 branch which also has some
spatial features on-board. It, however, does not return computed distances but
can filter and sort using the great circle algorithm or a bounding box and also
covers the problem of the poles.

I would migrate to the 3.1 branch first and see how 4.0 behaves when it is
being released and got a few bugfix updates.

[1]: http://blog.jteam.nl/2010/12/22/ssp-2-0/

Cheers,