Or - you could add a standard field to each shard, populate with a distinct
value for each shard, and facet on that field.  Then look at the facet counts
of the value that corresponds to a shard, and, hey-presto, you're done...

Bob Sandiford | Lead Software Engineer | SirsiDynix
P: 800.288.8020 X6943 | bob.sandif...@sirsidynix.com
www.sirsidynix.com