We are running into some issues with large queries.  Initially, they were
ostensibly header buffer overruns, because increasing Jetty's
headerBufferSize value to 65536 resolved them. This seems like a kludge, but
it does solve the problem for 95% of our users.

However, we do have queries that are physically larger than that and for
which increasing the headerBufferSize to 65536 does not work.  This is due
to security requirements:  Security descriptors are baked into the index,
and then potentially thousands of them (depending on the user context) are
passed in with each query.  These excessive queries are only a problem with
approximately 5% of users who are highly entitled, but the number of
security descriptors in are likely to increase and we won't have a
workaround for this security policy any time soon.

After a lot of Googling, it seems to me that it's common to increase the
headerBufferSize, but I don't see any other strategies.  Is it
possible/feasible to switch to use POST for querying?

Thanks!