...but the index resides on disk doesn't it???  lol

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:06 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: True master-master fail-over without data gaps

Hi,

----- Original Message ----

> I'd honestly think about buffer the incoming documents in some store
that's
>actually made for fail-over persistence reliability, maybe CouchDB or
something.
>And then that's taking care of not losing anything, and the problem
becomes how
>we make sure that our solr master indexes are kept in sync with the
actual
>persistent store; which I'm still not sure about, but I'm thinking it's
>simpler problem. The right tool for the right job, that kind of
failover
>persistence is not solr's specialty.

But check this!  In some cases one is not allowed to save content to
disk (think
copyrights).  I'm not making this up - we actually have a customer with
this
"cannot save to disk" (but can index) requirement.

So buffering to disk is not an option, and buffering in memory is not
practical
because of the input document rate and their size.

Otis
----

fail-over?
> Imagine you  have a continuous stream of incoming documents that you
have to
> index without  losing any of them (or with losing as few of them as
possible).
> How do you  set up you masters?
> In other words, you can't just have 2 masters where the  secondary is
the
> Repeater (or Slave) of the primary master and replicates the  index
>periodically:
> you need to have 2 masters that are in sync at all  times!
> How do you achieve that?
>
> * Do you just put N masters behind a  LB VIP, configure them both to
point to
>the
> index on some shared storage  (e.g. SAN), and count on the LB to
fail-over to
>the
> secondary master when the  primary becomes unreachable?
> If so, how do you deal with index locks?   You use the Native lock and
count
on
> it disappearing when the primary master  goes down?  That means you
count on
>the
> whole JVM process dying, which  may not be the case...
>
> * Or do you use tools like DRBD, Corosync,  Pacemaker, etc. to keep 2
masters
> with 2 separate indices in sync, while  making sure you write to only
1 of
them