On 3/17/2011 5:02 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
&defType=lucene
&q=*:* AND NOT _query_:"{!dismax} foo bar baz"

Oops, forgot a part, for anyone reading this and wanting to use it as a solution.

You can transform:

$defType=dismax
&q=-foo -bar -baz

&defType=lucene
&q=*:* AND NOT _query_:"{!dismax mm=1}foo bar baz"

And have basically equivalent semantics to what you meant but which dismax won't do. The mm=1 is important, left that out before.

Jonathan

I might be able to work with that in my situation.  But it also seems
like something that dismax could take care of for you in such a
situation. It looks from the documentation like the newer (not in 1.4.1)
edismax does in at least some cases, where the pure negative query is
inside grouping/subquery parens, it's not clear to me if it does it in
general or not.