Hi Yonik,

Oh, this is great. Is distributed faceting available in the trunk? What is
the basic server setup needed for trying this out, is it cloud with HDFS and
SOLR with zookepers?
Any chance to see the related documentation? :)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Dmitry Kan <dmitry....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Basically, of high interest is checking out the Map-Reduce for
> distributed
> > faceting, is it even possible with the trunk?
>
> Solr already has distributed faceting, and it's much more performant
> than a map-reduce implementation would be.
>
> I've also seen a product use the term "map reduce" incorrectly... as in,
> we "map" the request to each shard, and then "reduce" the results to a
> single list (of course, that's not actually map-reduce at all ;-)

:) this sounds pretty strange to me as well. It was only my guess, that if
you have MR as computational model and a cloud beneath it, you could
naturally map facet fields to their counts inside single documents (no
matter, where they are, be it shards or "single" index) and pass them onto
reducers.

--
Regards,

Dmitry Kan