I'll reply the solution to this thread on my own (with a different email
address).

Did some debugging on 1.4.1 source code, my issue is in the data-config.xml
file, the field column name when stored in Map object uses the DBs column
casing (e.g. ID --> id):

<entity name="parentEntity" ...>
<field column="ID" name="XXX" />
   <entity "childEntity" ... query="select * from jctest where
ID='${parentEntity.ID}'">

The config above does not work because the parentEntity.ID, the "ID" token
when compared in the Map object is stored as 'id'. If I change
parentEntity.ID to parentEntity.id (lower case id) then it works.

Perhaps the class *VariableResolverImpl *should consider a case insensitive
Map get?
Thanks,
Jeff