Thanks Tom!

I think I've seen a good explanation of tie from Hoss once.... something that
described the background for tie beyond "it's good for breaking score ties
between two documents".  For example, what are the scenarios where one can
expect or fear scoring ties between multiple documents whose scores come from a
single field?  When multiple documents have very similar or identical values of
certain fields that are used in search and that tend to provide high scores
and/or have high boosts?

Consider the situation where you are indexing documents that have 2 fields,
author and body, there are very few distinct authors, and the author field has
high boost (plus it's short) and your query is the name of the author.

Is this the situation where the author field is likely to end up being the
field
with max score and multiple documents (with the same author) are likely to have
the same score if you take that max score on the author field as the final
score
for the document?
Is that the scenario where tie is very important?
Are there other scenarios that are different enough from the above worth
describing on the Wiki?

Thanks,
Otis
----