Hi Otis & Robert,

 ----- Original Message ----

> How do people handle cases where synonyms are used and there are  multiple
> version of the original word that really need to point to the same  set of
> synonyms?
>
> For example:
> Consider singular and plural of the  word "responsibility".  One might have
> synonyms defined like  this:
>
>   responsibility, obligation, duty
>
> But the plural  "responsibilities" is not in there, and thus it will not get
> expanded to the  synonyms above! That's a problem.
>
> Sure, one could change the synonyms  file to look like this:
>
>   responsibility, responsibilities,  obligation, duty
>
> But that means somebody needs to think of all variations  of the word!

Yes, that seems to be the case now, as it was in 2008:
http://search-lucene.com/m/gLwUCV0qU02&subj=Re+Synonyms+and+stemming+revisited
http://search-lucene.com/m/7lqdp1ldrqx (Hoss replied, but I think that
suggestion doesn't actually work)

> Is there a something one can do to get all variations of  the word to map to
>the
>
> same synonyms without having to explicitly specify  all variations of the
word?

I think this is where Robert's 2+2lemma pointer may help because the 2+lemma
list contains "records" where a headword is followed by a list of other
variations of the word.  The way I think this would help is by simply taking
that list and turning it into the synonyms file format, and then merging in the
actual synonyms.

For example, if I have the word "responsibility", then from 2+2lemma I should
be
able to get that "responsibilities" is one of the variants of "responsibility".

I should then be able to take those 2 words and stick them in synonyms file
like
this:

  responsibility, responsibilities

And then append actual synonyms to that:

  responsibility, responsibilities, obligation, duty

But I may then need to actually expand synonyms themselves, too (again using
data from 2+2lemma):

  responsibility, responsibilities, obligation, obligations, duty, duties

I haven't tried this yet.  Just theorizing and hoping for feedback.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks,
Otis
----