Just where to do I put the new index data with such a command? Simply replacing
the segment files appears dangerous to me.

Also, what is the best practice to move from single-core to multi-core?
My current set-up is single-core, do I simply need to add a solr.xml in my
solr-home and one core1 directory with the data that was there previously?

paul