yes, the multivalued field is not broken up into tokens.

so, if I understand well what you mean, I could have

a field CATEGORY with  multiValued="true"
a field CATEGORY_TOKENIZED with  multiValued=" true"

and then some POI

<field name="NAME">POI_Name</field>
<field name="*CATEGORY*">Restaurant Hotel</field>
<field name="CATEGORY_TOKENIZED">Restaurant</field>
<field name="CATEGORY_TOKENIZED">Hotel</field>

do faceting on CATEGORY and fq on CATEGORY_TOKENIZED.

But then, wouldn't it be possible to do faceting on CATEGORY_TOKENIZED?

Best regards
Elisabeth