thank you. I'd like to stick to the same version (i.e. 3.2-SNAPSHOT). It
seems things have changed there.

To reproduce (should we file this and add my test as a test to avoid this
bumping up again?)

$
svn co -r 1104120
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/ solr
cd solr; ant get-maven-poms; mvn -N -Pbootstrap install; mvn -DskipTests
install
wget http://dp4j.sf.net/debug/embeddedServerTest.zip
unzip embeddedServerTest.zip
cd embeddedServerTest; mvn -X test

P.S. I realize the example is not SSCCE (but close, and i laready uplaoded
it).

 <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>4.8.2</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
      <type>jar</type>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
      <artifactId>solr-core</artifactId>
      <version>3.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
      <artifactId>solr-test-framework</artifactId>
      <version>3.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

import org.junit.Before;
import org.apache.solr.client.solrj.embedded.EmbeddedSolrServer;
import org.apache.solr.util.AbstractSolrTestCase;

public class SolrConfigTest extends AbstractSolrTestCase {

    public String getSchemaFile() {
        return "/conf/schema.xml";
    }

    public String getSolrConfigFile() {
        return "/conf/solrconfig.xml";
    }

    @Before
    @Override
    public void setUp() throws Exception {
        super.setUp();
        new EmbeddedSolrServer(h.getCoreContainer(), h.getCore().getName());
    }

}