> I have 2 document types but want to return any documents
> where the requested
> ID appears. The ID appears in multiple attributes but I
> want to boost
> results based on which attribute contains the ID.
>
> so my query is
>
> q="id:b007vty6 parent_id:b007vty6
> brand_container_id:b007vty6
> series_container_id:b007vty6
> subseries_container_id:b007vty6
> clip_container_id:b007vty6 clip_episode_id:b007vty6"
>
> and I use qf to boost fields
>
> qf="id^10 parent_id^9 brand_container_id^8
> series_container_id^8
> subseries_container_id^8 clip_container_id^1
> clip_episode_id^1"

There is a misunderstanding here. qf parameter is specific to (e)dismax query
parser plugin. For more information about it please see:

http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2010/05/23/whats-a-dismax/

Your query string can be something like this:

defType=dismax&q=b007vty6&qf="id^10 parent_id^9 brand_container_id^8 ...

It automatically expands your simple word query to multiple fields.
defType=dismax is a must to enable it, either in URL or in solrconfig.xml
(defaults section).