There's several starting points for Solr UI out there, but really the best
choice is whatever fits your environment and the skills/resources you have
handy.  Here's a few off the top of my head -

  * Blacklight - it's a Ruby on Rails full-featured search UI powered by Solr.
It can be customized fairly easily to work with any arbitrary Solr schema, but
by default it is kinda library-specific in it's out of the box experience.  It
powers UVa, Stanford, and other libraries and sites out there in production now
- http://projectblacklight.org/

  * Flare - it's the first prototype to Blacklight, and fairly dusty and
prototypical, but I still think a good example of how lean a search UI can be
that has a number of fancy features - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Flare/HowTo

  * Solritas/VelocityResponseWriter - this is built right into Solr and allows
easily templating of Solr responses.  It's the /browse interface out of the
box.  While probably not how someone would deploy a production search UI, it
can make proof of concepts and getting up and running quite quick and easy -
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/VelocityResponseWriter

And there's a new little tinkering I've started a while back that might be good
food for thought for the same sorts of ideas as the above but in a slightly
different direction - https://github.com/lucidimagination/Prism

        Erik