I'd like to suggest the ability to collapse results in a more similar way to
the old SOLR-236 patch that the current grouping functionality doesn't
provide. I need the ability to collapse only certain results based on the
value of a field, leaving all other results in tact.

As an example, consider the following documents:
ID     TYPE
1       doc
2       image
3       image
4       doc

My desired behavior is to collapse results where TYPE:image, producing a
result set like the following:
1
2 (collapsed, count=2)
4

Currently, when using the Result Grouping feature, I only have the ability
to produce the result set below
1 (grouped, count=2)
2 (grouped, count=2)

I'd like to propose repurposing the 'group.query' parameter to achieve this
behavior. Currently, the group.query parameter behaves exactly like an 'fq'
(at least in terms of the results that are produced). I have yet to come up
with a scenario where the group.query could not be accomplished by using the
other group params and fq.

I'm hoping to collect some thoughts on the subject before submitting a
ticket to jira. Thoughts?