Not necessarily collapse.type=adjacent. That is only when two docs with the
same field value appear next to each other. I'm more concerned with the case
where we only want a group of a certain type (no matter where the subsequent
docs may be), leaving the rest of the documents ungrouped.

The current grouping functionality using group.field is basically
all-or-nothing: all documents will be grouped by the field value or none
will. So there would be no way to, for example, collapse just the videos or
images like they do in google.

You're correct it would be difficult to support this in a sharded
environment, but like most other features, it could be available in a single
shard first and work toward supporting it in a sharded env.