Thanks  Jay ,

I was trying to compute the *OS RAM requirement*  *not JVM RAM* for a 14 GB
Index [cumulative Index size of all Instances].And I put it thus -

Requirement of Operating System RAM for an Index of  14GB is   - Index Size
+ 3 Times the  maximum Index Size of Individual Instance for Optimize .

That is to say ,I have several Instances ,combined Index Size is 14GB
.Maximum Individual Index Size is 2.5GB .so My requirement for OS RAM is
 14GB +3 * 2.5 GB  ~ = 22GB.

Correct?

Regards
Sujatha