hi thanks for the big reply ;)

i had the idea with the several and small 5M shards too.
and i think thats the next step i have to go, because our biggest index
grows each day with avg. 50K documents.
but make it sense to keep searcher AND updater cores on one big server? i
dont want to use replication, because with our own high avalibility solution
is this not possible.

my system is split into searcher and updater cores, each with his own index.
some search requests are over all this 8 cores with distributed search.

-----

One Server, 12 GB RAM, 2 Solr Instances, 8 Cores,
1 Core with 45 Million Documents other Cores < 200.000

- Solr1 for Search-Requests - commit every Minute  - 5GB Xmx
- Solr2 for Update-Request  - delta every Minute - 4GB Xmx