Hi again,
Since you have a custom high availability solution over your solr instances, I can't help much I guess... :-)

I usually rely on master/slave replication to separate index build and index search processes.

The fact is that resources consumption at build time and search time are not necessarily the same, and therefor hardware dimensioning can be adapted as required. I like to have the service related processes isolated and easy to deploy wherever needed. Just in case things go wrong, hardware failures occur. Build services on the other hand don't have the same availability constraints, and can be off for a while, it's no issue (unless near realtime indexing comes into party, that's an other thing)

In a slave configuration, the index doesn't need to commit. It simply replicates its data from its associated master whenever the master changes and performs a reopen of the searcher. "Change" events can be triggered at commit, startup and / or optimize. (see http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication , although you seemed to be not interested by this feature :) )

Having search and build on the same host is no bad point.
It simply depends on available resources and build vs service load requirements. For example with a big core such as the one you have, segments merging can occur from time to time, which is an operation that is IO bound (i.e. time is dependant of disk performances). Under high IO load, a server can become less responsive and therefor having the service separated from the build could became handy at that time.

As you see, I can't tell you what makes sense and what doesn't.
It's all about what you're doing, at which frequency, etc. :-)

Regards,

Tanguy