From: Tomas Zerolo <tomas.zer...@axelspringer.de>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Don't snowball depending on terms
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:49:37 +0100

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:53:44PM -0500, François Schiettecatte wrote:
> It won't and depending on how your analyzer is set up the terms are most
> likely stemmed at index time.
>
> You could create a separate field for unstemmed terms though, or use a less
> aggressive stemmer such as EnglishMinimalStemFilterFactory.

This is surprising to me. Snowball introduces new homonyms, meaning it
will lump e.g. "management" and "manage" into one index entry. Thus,
I'd expect a handful of "false positives" (but usually not too many).

That's a "lossy index" (loosely speaking) and could be fixed by
post-filtering (instead of introducing another index, which in
most cases would seem a waste of resurces).

Is there no way in SOLR of filtering the results *after* the index
scan? I'd be disappointed!

Regards
-- tomás