Thanks Erick,

This is a required feature since we're swapping out an existing search
engine for Solr - users have saved searches that need to behave the
same.

I'll look into the edismax stuff, that's the handler we're using
anyway.

---

IntelCompute
Web Design & Local Online Marketing

http://www.intelcompute.com

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:12:11 -0500, Erick Erickson
<erickerick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, watch the syntax <G>....
>
> q=+(stemmed:perl^2 or stemmed:java^3) +unstemmed:"development manager"^5
> although it is a bit confusing to see the dismax stuff where the boost
> is put on the
> field name, but that's not how the queries are formed.
>
> BTW, have you looked at edismax queries? You can distribute your terms
> across the fields, applying whatever boost you want and have the query
> input be pretty simple. It takes a bit to get your head around what
> edismax does,
> but it's worth it....
>
> But before you go there.... You've presented no evidence that this is
> desirable.
> What is the use-case here? You say "users may want"... Well, why do the work
> unless they *do* want this capability? I'd strongly advise that you
> just forget about
> this feature unless and until there's a demonstrated need. Here's a
> blog I made at
> Lucid. Long-winded, but I'm like that sometimes....
>
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2011/11/03/stop-being-so-agreeable/
>
> Best
> Erick
>

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Robert Brown <r...@intelcompute.com> wrote:
>> Boosts can be included there too can't they?
>>
>> so this is valid?
>>
>> q=+(stemmed^2:perl or stemmed^3:java) +unstemmed^5:"development
>> manager"
>>
>> is it possible to have different boosts on the same field btw?
>>
>> We currently search across 5 fields anyway, so my queries are gonna
>> start getting messy.  :-/
>>

>> ---
>>
>> IntelCompute
>> Web Design & Local Online Marketing
>>
>> http://www.intelcompute.com
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:08:41 -0500, Erick Erickson
>> <erickerick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You can't have multiple "q" clauses (as opposed to "fq" clauses).
>>> You could form something like
>>> q=unstemmed:perl or java&fq=stemmed:manager
>>> or