Hi,

I used to think this, too, but have learned this not to be entirely true.  We
had a customer with a query rate of a few hundred QPS and 32 or 64 GB RAM
(don't recall which any more) and a pretty large JVM heap.  Most queries were
very fast, but once in a while a query would be very slow.  GC, we thought!  So
the initial thinking was was - must be that big heap of theirs.  But.... long
story short, instead of making the heap smaller we just tuned the JVM and took
care of those slow queries.  Using SPM (link in sig) and seeing GC info
(collection counts, times, heap size, etc.) was invaluable!

Otis
----

Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr -
http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html - FREE!