Forgot to add, that the time when I DO want the highlight to appear would be with a query that DOES match the default field.

{!lucene q.op=OR df=text_t}  kind_s:doc AND (( field_t:[* TO *] ))  cars

Where the term 'cars' would be matched against the df. Then I want the highlight for it.

If there are no query term matches for the df, then getting ALL the field terms highlighted (as it does now) is rather perplexing feature.

Darren