I have some hierarchical data that I want to represent in the Solr UI
(/browse).  I've read through many discussions on this topic, including
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HierarchicalFaceting and
http://packtlib.packtpub.com/library/9781849516068/ch06lvl1sec09 .  However, I
didn't see a solution that solves case.

For each facet field in my data, the depth varies depending on the facet term.
For example, at the root level, facet term 1 may have 3 levels down, but facet
term 2 will have 8 levels down.  In the UI, I want to show only the facet terms
at the currently selected level.  Using the example that comes with Solr, the
facet "cat" has the field "electronics", which then has several children.  When
my user initially enters the UI, he should only see "electronics"; he should
not see any of its children until he clicks on "electronics".

Programmatically, something like this might work: for each facet field, add
another hidden field that identifies its parent.  Then, program additional
logic in the UI to show only the facet terms at the currently selected level.
For example, if one filters on "cat:electronics", the new UI logic would apply
the additional filter "cat_parent:electronics".  Can this be done?  Would it be
a lot of work?  Is there a better way?

By the way, Flamenco (another faceted browser) has built-in support for
hierarchies, and it has worked well for my data in this aspect (but less well
than Solr in others).  I'm looking for the same kind of hierarchical UI feature
in Solr.