On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:33:00 -0800 (PST), Yuhao <nfsvi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Programmatically, something like this might work: for each facet field,
> add another hidden field that identifies its parent.  Then, program
> additional logic in the UI to show only the facet terms at the currently
> selected level.  For example, if one filters on "cat:electronics", the
new
> UI logic would apply the additional filter "cat_parent:electronics".
Can
> this be done?

Yes. This is how I do it.

> Would it be a lot of work?
No. Its not a lot of work, simply represent your hierarchy as parent/child
relations in the document fields and in your UI drill down by issuing new
faceted searches. Use the current facet (tree level) as the parent:<level>
in the next query. Its much easier than other suggestions for this.

> Is there a better way?
Not in my opinion, there isn't. This is the simplest to implement and
understand.